Friday, June 5, 2009

One Body, Many Parts


June 4, 2009
As I’m sitting here writing, I’m staring at a beautiful, red coloured moth. It struck me as a reminder how diverse our world is and how diverse its people are. We’ve just finished our second day of the conflict coaching practicum and I find it cool how each group has its own take on the material. The questions are really the most interesting as they often highlight the experiences that the participants have had and reflect, “as in a mirror darkly”, some of the challenges they have faced. I’m continually blown away by the depth of the desire these pastors have to serve their people as effective and compassionately as they can. I am also impressed by their willingness to disagree with us if they have a differing perspective and do so respectfully. I continue to grow through this process.
We are heading into the half day role plays today. This is the fun part. I do truly mean that and not in a bad way. It is so cool to watch these guys work to integrate the material in a simulation. While it doesn’t always go perfectly, it is so great to watch the variety of approaches and styles that these men bring to the process. It becomes so clear as you watch it how God has made us all unique and how He is able to work through this cacophony of personalities and styles to bring healing to relationships and lives. And the real irony is that it is that very cacophony – that diversity in style, experience and approach – that allows us to reach out effectively to the varied peoples of this world in their pain and problem. It brings Paul’s comments about the body in 1 Corinthians into sharp focus. I am continually reminded that while unity is part of God’s intention for us in the Church, uniformity clearly is not. (Which is clearly a good thing as a whole church of me would drive me crazy!)
So, once more into the breach dear friends!
Sola Deo Gloria.
Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment