Saturday, May 9, 2009

And They're Off

So an interesting start to the trip. Having been hung up at US Customs at the Calgary Airport a number of times, I arrived 2 hours early. Figured if no one was around, I’d check in and spend some time with the girls before I went through security. News flash, once you check in your luggage, you aren’t allowed to leave the immediate area around the entrance to US Customs. Great – would have been good to know prior to doing the luggage check in thing. So here I am, 2 hours early and there is 5 other people in the entire wing of the airport. The United Chicago flight has 1 passenger. And I’m having the most attentive service at the bar (the only place with tables in the security area) that I’ve ever had. So I have single handedly added an extra hour to my layover time. Ah well.
It’s been kinda odd. Usually I’m pretty wound prior to going to do something like this. This time around, it all seems a bit unreal. Everyone around me is way more pumped that I am. Somehow it hasn’t gotten through to my brain that I am on my way to Australia for 6 weeks.
So from Calgary, I fly to ‘Frisco. Six hour layover there and then the 14 hours to Sydney. I meet up with Ted Kober there and then fly from Sydney to Adelaide. We have one day to turn around and then we start teaching Tuesday. Oh yeah, and I lose a day from my life as I cross the international date line. Thankfully, I get it back once I come home.
I have a new travelling companion on this trip - Chuck the Beaver. Chuck is part of my office's fundraising efforts. We are raising funds to help a family in Calgary have a memorable Christmas. The idea is that Chuck will accompany a number of us on our travels around the world and we will document those travels using photographs. At the end of his travels, Chuck will be auctioned off and the proceeds will helps us give this family the best Christmas possible. So far Chuck has been to Costa Rica with Ksena and Shawn Court. I haven't seen the pictures, but the stories I've heard make me a bit nervous to have him for a roommate for 6 weeks. Apparently, he's a bit of a wildman. Hopefully he's not as messy as Derek.
Well, we'll see how this goes. I'll try to sign in again in 'Frisco.

No comments:

Post a Comment