Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Back to Work


Day 9 – May 19, 2009
Had an opportunity to work with some of the Lutheran teachers, administrators and chaplain. It was a very interesting session as we only had a half day to present what we normally cover in a full day. Went quite well, actually. We highlighted a number of key concepts and dealt with them in some detail. Enjoyed interacting with them – brought back memories of my own public days. In the afternoon, we prowled a bit more around Adelaide.
One of the many small pleasures we’ve had in Adelaide has been the fruit and vegetables we’ve had access to. Down the street from where we are staying is a small fruit and vegetable shop. Featuring Australia fruit and produce, the shop is home of some very intriguing items. My personal favourite is black tomatoes. Yes, that’s right, black tomatoes. The shopkeeper told us that these are one of the types of heirloom tomatoes – the wide variety of tomatoes that existed before the powers that be decided that tomatoes “ought” to be bright red and proceeded to breed all the variety and life out of the fruit. Now to be fair, black tomatoes do look a bit odd to the modern eye. The flavour, however, is rich, sweet, with a strong tomatoes theme but a slight hint of individuality. Do I prefer them? That’s the wrong questions. Both types of tomatoes have their own flavour profiles and I like both a great deal. I will truly miss them when I come home and if I found them for a reasonable price in Canada, I would buy them in an instant. The shame is that I won’t.
Golden kiwis were the other item I will miss. I like regular kiwis but I love golden ones. Having again the same basic flavour profile as a regular kiwi, golden kiwis have a bit less edge to them and are sweeter. Kiwi light – great taste, just as filling. That’s not to denigrate them – as I say, I prefer them to the traditional kiwis we get in Canada. This is another one I will definitely look up when I get home.
Tomorrow we start another 3 day training session with the balance of the West Australia, South Australia and North Territory pastors. When we finish Friday afternoon, we hop a plane to Sydney. Saturday is a one day training in Sydney, then off to the Canberra area for a 3 day session before returning to Sydney to provide mediation training to some of the pastors and laypeople of Lutheran Church of Australia.
Soli Deo Gloria
Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment