Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It Must Be Tuesday - I've never got the hang of Tuesday

Day 2 in Oz. Tuesday, May 12, 2009. Sorry about last night’s blog. Somewhat incoherent. I guess when you’ve only had 4 hours sleep over 2 days, you’re not at your sharpest. On the upside, between staying up until I was punch drunk and taking melatonin (thanks Talitha), I think I’m turned around. Woke up at 3 am, but got back to sleep until 5:00 am local, which is my usual time up.
Adelaide is a beautiful city. Wandering around yesterday, it reminded me a bit of Victoria, British Columbia. Old stone buildings are everywhere. Instead of fences, there are walls surrounding most of the houses we say. The most interesting walls appeared to be made out of slender willow twigs woven together to form a fence. They have a very rustic, Welsh feel and oddly enough don’t look inconsistent with some of these grand old houses. I'd post a picture, but we have limited uploading capacity at this site. I'll try to post some pictures in Sydney or Canberra.
The area has been suffering from drought the past little while, however we were lucky enough to arrive shortly after they received about 4 inches of rain (after a number of weeks with only traces of moisture). Everything has greened up quite beautifully. Since the rest of the week is supposed to be rainy, so it should stay quite green while we’re here. Hopefully, there will also be some sunshine on our days off.
Found a municipal golf course, so we’re going to try to get in 18 holes today. Then it’s prepping some more for me as we start teaching tomorrow. If things go well, and I can stay awake longer today, I’ll try to catch up with my girls on MSN or Skype.
Day 2 – PM
Another beautiful day. 20C and a light breeze. We played the municipal course today. Two locals John and Dennis were nice enough (naive enough) to invite us to join them for the round. Little did they know how badly I golf. They were very gracious and we had a great time. And I must say, on a per stroke basis, I really got my money’s worth.
It was interesting to see the variety of trees and birds that people take for granted here. The gum trees (eucalyptus trees to us) are interesting. They are huge and most of the ones on the Muni have been around for hundreds of years. The outer bark appears to strip off over time (from time to time?), which I found fascinating. It is really quite cool to walk down the street and see a pomegranate growing on a tree in someone’s yard.
Well, it’s off to bed and then up early to work out and then prep some more. God bless your week.
Soli Deo Gloria
Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment